The Underground is a multicultural student-run media site devoted to telling the untold stories within the Penn State community. We seek to foster the multicultural student voice through creating an open forum of discussion and promoting diversity and community involvement.
The idea of The Underground was discussed on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 after an inspiring presentation from Soledad O’Brien on the Penn State University Park campus. The project began as a simple idea by two freshmen in Ritner Hall. After discussion with other students, a website was created. We hope to grow as a site, engage with more members of the community, and continue to promote the sharing of diverse stories.
The Underground is produced by students at Penn State and was put into play by Candice Crutchfield and Adriana Lacy. The first contributors included a great group of friends: Candice Crutchfield, Adriana Lacy, Matthew Lamas, and Adam Tidball.
We publish five different categories:
- News – Updates on salient campus events, national news, and world news.
- Race and Identity – Stories, commentaries, and personal narratives regarding everything from culture to racial tensions to sexuality to religion.
- Commentary – Personal opinion pieces and editorials, often relating to current events and identity.
- Art – Spoken Word, Personal Art Pieces, and more.
- Lifestyle – articles, inspirational messages, and stories for a healthy and productive life.
What are we looking for?
Content and ideas are the most important things we are looking for. Although no previous writing experience is required, we want pieces that are thinking about things in new and different ways, pieces with original voice and a certain sense of fearlessness. We want a diversity of experiences, voices, points of view, styles, and artistic forms.
Need to get in touch with us? Send us an email.